Originally from Jacksboro, Ashley Inge is a 2018 Tarleton State University graduate. She wrote for the Stephenville Empire-Tribune for two years as a staff writer before joining the Hood County News team in October 2020.
Looking Back is a column that highlights former articles retrieved from local newspaper archives that were published in years past.
73 YEARS AGO
Sept. 9, 1948
The “Tolar school” had the “largest enrollment in its history” with a total of 226 students. The “Granbury School” enrolled 523 pupils on Sept. 8, 1948, which was the first day of school. Of that number, 170 were high school students and 353 were “grammar school students.”
55 YEARS AGO
Sept. 8, 1966
Hal S. Smith of Cresson took a giant, nine-ton steam-powered antique tractor to the Agriculture Show at the 1966 State Fair of Texas. The black and orange J.I. Case tractor was manufactured around 1885.
37 YEARS AGO
Sept. 9, 1984
Granbury gained another historical marker when the Bush-Cherry building located at 115 N. Houston St. received its marker noting it as one of Texas’ historic buildings on Sept. 7, 1984. The building was erected in 1891 by F.C. Bush, who ran a dry goods store in the building until 1894. The building housed the Amon Peters Saloon for one year and in 1895, the building was inherited by Bush’s daughter, Alice Bush Morgan, and her husband, Dr. L.H. Morgan. In 1895, the Morgan Drug Co. was established and the building served as a drug store for the next 72 years. It changed ownership and drug store names on several occasions during that time. One of “the most notable of the various drug companies to occupy the building” was The Cherry Drug Co., which was established and run by W.C. Cherry from 1910 to 1947 and re-established and run by his sons from 1955 to 1967. The Cherry family attended the ceremony in 1984, along with county officials and members of the historical commission.
26 YEARS AGO
Sept. 13, 1995
Granbury’s deteriorating north water tower was torn down. The water tower had been a familiar landmark for the past 72 years but had not been in use for the past three or four years prior. With the metal rotting, gaps could have occurred, causing possible contamination and leakage, according to city officials. The Granbury tank held 75,000 gallons of water. The city’s southside tower, which holds 100,000 gallons, was built in 1966.
10 YEARS AGO
Sept. 14, 2011
The “new” and “highly anticipated” H-E-B opened its doors to the public on Sept. 9, 2011. H-E-B was one of the most requested businesses by Hood County residents, according to economic development officials.
email@example.com | 817-573-1243